Friday, March 30, 2007

3-30-07 update (in the present tense for once)

March 30th, 2007:

I just wanted to let everyone who reads this blog know that I'm really sorry that I'm so far behind with posting. Ideally, I'd be able to post things as soon as they take place but unfortunately that just hasn't been possible. As soon as I can, I plan to post about the weekend my family came to visit, my day of spring break that I spent in Rome (the post is done and saved as a draft, but I'd like to publish them in order), my spring break trip to London and Paris (which will take a while), and the Northern Italy trip that we just returned from this past Sunday. I'd also like to post some about living here, since it seems that most of my posts have been about our field trips outside Rome, and not about how great it is to actually live in this amazing city.

Right now, we are in the thick of our Cefalu projects for studio. The majority of our class is making hotels for their waterfront sites, however, since I am on Site 4, our task is to provide parking for the waterfront district, design a space for the Cefalu food and clothing bazaar, turn a vast string of disparate blocks into a cohesive district, provide beautiful civic spaces for the area, and link this enormous area to the beach and sea. It is a lot to think about, and so far, I have focused mainly on one section, and I need to widen my focus for next Wednesday's studio, when the next draft of our explanatory InDesign boards are due.

Other than studio, nothing too earth-shattering is currently going on. As I previously mentioned, we recently returned from our trip to Northern Italy and Switzerland, which was phenomenal all around. I tried to get a head start on blogging about the trip by keeping a journal as we went. Our itinerary and some pictures are posted on the CUA's main blogging page, a link to which can be found on the right side of this page. I took a ton of pictures and videos, which I am looking forward to posting eventually... it was amazingly beautiful everywhere we went! Florence, Lucca, Venice, Zurich, Vals, Basel... it was incredible.

Tonight, there was a get-together for all the students studying through the University of Washington Rome Center, since a new group of kids just came in, which was pretty fun... they served some pretty good food. I'm just about to leave for a group dinner at Dave's apartment, which should be a good time. I'm currently in desperate need of a haircut, and there's a barber behind our apartment building that I'm thinking of going to tomorrow... I don't think my hair has been this long since the end of freshman year, and I'm starting to want it gone. When I start to look like Ron Weasley, that's when I know something has to give.

We've only got about a month left in Rome, which is incredible to me... I don't know if it is because of our time spent travelling, but this semester has flown by. Our Italian class is done, we had our final this Tuesday, so that gives us more time to focus on (and stress out about) our Cefalu projects. Once again, I have written more about what's going on with me than anyone would ever care to read, and this time its not even diluted with pretty pictures, so this is probably a good place to stop.

No comments: